Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge


Hello everyone! 

I'm sure most of you have heard about the famous Real Techniques brushes by Samantha Chapman. I have a few of these brushes including the Blush brush, the Expert Face brush and the Core Collection face set. I was super excited when I heard Real Techniques were bringing out a makeup sponge. 

I have heard so many  great things about the Beauty Blender. I always wanted to try it but I couldn't pay $20-30 for a sponge! The price was just madness. The RT Miracle Complexion retails at €5.99 in Ireland, which is a more reasonable price. If you live in Ireland, you can get this from Cloud 10 Beauty or in Boots/Boots Website. Alternatively you can get the sponge from the Real Techniques website or from iherb

Right, let's get onto the review!


 


Packaging 

The product comes in a professional, plastic box. It displays the sponge very clearly and gives details on the product. Samantha Chapman says:

"Great looks start with a flawless base. Redefine your skin with our miracle complexion sponge. Its versatile design evenly blends makeup for a smooth, enhanced finish."

Samantha also has a tutorial on how to use her sponge on the Real Techniques website



My Thoughts

The RT version of the Beauty Blender is not the standard eye shaped sponge. It's sculpted for all facial contours and features. The sponge is a small and convenient size that fits into your hand perfectly. It has a flat angled side for getting around the nose and eyes. The rounded side covers large areas of the face and can spread foundation evenly. The precision tip at the tip is perfect for concealing blemishes and blending under eye concealer. 


How do you use the sponge?

To use the sponge, you simply soak the sponge in water and let the sponge expand as it soaks up the water. Squeeze out the excess water and squeeze with a hand towel and it's ready to use. You now can put some foundation on the back of your hand and pick some of your foundation up with the flat side of the sponge. You can now blend the foundation into your face with swiping motions for a light coverage look or dab the foundation into your skin using patting motions. You are almost bouncing it over the face. You will be left with a flawless base


You can use the pointed end of the sponge to conceal blemishes or to pat concealer under the eye and into the hard to reach places around the eye. 
The rounded side of the sponge can be used to apply a setting powder. I use the rounded side for applying cream blush or cream highlighter. This sponge is very versatile and easy to use.   



Cleaning the sponge

To be completely honest, I thought cleaning the sponge was more difficult than expected. I cleaned the product with shampoo and water, foaming up the sponge and rinsing it with warm water. I did this several times and I could see the foundation washing out. However there were still some stains from the foundation on the sponge which didn't wash off. So my miracle complexion sponge is more foundation coloured now than orange. It still works perfectly for me. Perhaps I am not washing it with the right cleaning product. Or is the problem with the foundation I'm using? Any suggestions?


The Bottom line...

I really like this product and I will continue to use it in my everyday foundation routine. If you are someone who is not fond of using makeup brushes or you want something that is super easy to use and gives flawless results, then this is the product for you.  

Pros:

  • Affordable
  • Easy to use
  • Widely available worldwide
  • Multifunctional
  • Convenient size 
  • Travel friendly
  • Versatile for all facial contours
  • Video tutorial available from Samantha Chapman

Cons:

  • Does not wash easily

My Rating:

     4.4/5


I hope you found this review useful. Have you tried this product? 
Let me know in the comments below!
Till next time,
Shawna
xoxo

Add me on snapchat: @shawnasherlock